Masterclasses and individual piano lessons
In the masterclasses and lessons you will receive tuition and advice, and have the opportunity to share ideas with the group. Please bring two to five pieces from your repertoire that you have been working on and wish to improve. You may like to bring some additional repertoire to perform in the evening concerts, or you can perform some of the pieces you have been working on in the classes.
These sessions are intended to be a supportive and enjoyable learning experience. There will be no pressure to perform if you prefer not to.
Details of the programme in 2018
Note: The programme below is the 2017 programme; The 2018 programme will be similar, but the content is still to be confirmed in detail.
The pianist as an accompanist
Course attendees will be provided with a list of songs of varying difficulty for Claire Weston’s accompanist classes. We will supply links to copyright-free downloads of the scores well in advance of the course, to give you plenty of time to learn the music. The aim of these classes is to work on the skill of accompanying, so we suggest that you choose a piece which is well within your capability. You can either work on one of the suggested songs, or supply us in advance with the song to work on with Claire.
Yoga to support the pianist
The individual yoga sessions with Izzy can be tailored to your preferences, and may include some of the following:
- awareness of your body and areas of tension when away from the piano
- awareness of your body and areas of tension when you are at the piano
- breathing and how to control it
- understanding your response to pressure/stress and how to manage it
- tuning in to what you are playing – getting in the zone to perform
- pre-performance nerves and what to do about them